2020 – Assistant Baker Job Description
About our Market Garden and Bakery
Great Day Gardens is a market garden and wood-fired bakery in Forest, Virginia run by Michael Grantz and Arden Jones. We are committed to providing nutrient-dense food to the Lynchburg area while engaging our community in a more regenerative food system. 2020 is our 6th year in business, supplying vegetables, sourdough bread, live plants, cut flowers, herbs, and pastries to 2 weekly farmers markets, a 30-member CSA, an on-site farm store, an online store and a handful of area groceries and restaurants.
Our bread is leavened naturally, and almost all baked goods include a sourdough starter. We are known in Lynchburg both for our rustic hearth loaves and our commitment to local and ethical sourcing. Weekly products include hearth and pan loaves, croissant, scones, bagels, and cinnamon rolls. Occasional items include pita, focaccia, brioche, pies, cookies and pizza. Everything is made from scratch in a converted garage and baked outdoors in a direct-fired masonry oven designed for small commercial bread production. We source grain exclusively from regional farms and mills and are deeply involved in the Common Grain Alliance, a group of bakeries, mills, and farms in the mid-Atlantic working to develop our regional grain system.
Baker Position Details
We are looking for an Assistant Baker who shares our passion for artisan baking, nutrient-dense food, and regenerative agriculture. You will be working both independently and with head baker Michael in producing bread and pastries from scratch for weekly farmers markets, CSA, and online orders.
This is a seasonal position ideal for someone with limited experience and looking to hone their baking skills. The baker will receive a unique training in firing and baking with a direct-fired masonry oven, as well as managing the variability of local stone-milled flour. We use a 20-quart mixer to incorporate our dough, but all kneading, dividing, shaping, laminating, and oven-loading are done by hand.
Position starts June 2 (flexible) and requires a commitment through December 18th 2020. Continuation in early 2021 is possible upon mutual agreement.
24-32 hours per week Tuesday-Friday, with occasional Saturday morning farmers markets. A typical bakery production day will be 7 AM to 5 PM, no early morning shifts!
- Scaling, mixing, kneading, shaping and baking bread. Feeding and maintaining the sourdough starter.
- Mixing, laminating, and shaping pastries.
- Hand-washing dishes, sweeping and mopping the floor, organizing bakery space, maintaining a clean, healthy workspace.
- Baking and packaging breads and pastries.
- Firing the oven, splitting and hauling wood, raking coals out of the oven.
- Communicating process issues, problems with tools and equipment, and ideas for improvement in an effective manner.
- Some experience in or a strong desire to learn artisan bread and pastry production. Other kitchen/food service experience considered, and an interest in regenerative agriculture and local food is a plus.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work up to 10 hours on your feet, occasionally outdoors in adverse weather.
- Willingness to receive training in new techniques, follow detailed instructions regarding bread process, and ask relevant questions.
- Ability to work at a quick production pace while keeping quality high and solving problems that arise.
- Ability to maintain a clean and healthy work space.
- Confidence to bake independently after training.
Compensation: Hourly wage DOE. We also offer employees surplus products from the farm.
This position is open until filled. To apply, please send an email to email@example.com that includes the following:
- Subject line with “YOUR NAME – Assistant Baker.”
- Résumé with professional references.
- A short letter explaining your goals, qualifications, and interest in the position.
Qualified candidates will be interviewed by phone, followed by an on-site bakery visit.