Makes about 1 quart.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (or 2 pints cherry tomatoes, diced, or a combination thereof)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Lemon or lime juice, to taste
- 2 tsp. salt
1-2 jalapeños, diced
¼ cup whey, pickle brine, or other live-culture starter
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Place in a jar, and press down until all solids are covered with liquid. Add a little bit of water if necessary.
Just like sauerkraut, leave at room temperature for a few days until it has reached a desirable flavor, then refrigerate and enjoy. This will ferment much faster than the kraut, so 2 days at room temperature is likely to be long enough. Keep pressing down if necessary to keep the vegetables submerged in liquid.