- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ tsp ground anise seed
- ½ tsp ground fennel seed
- ¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 quart chicken stock or combination of water and stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp dried green peppercorns, crushed
- 1 bunch Hakurei turnips, chopped in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fennel leaves
Cook fennel and leeks gently in butter until tender. Add ground anise and fennel seeds and stir around until amalgamated. Add stock and optional wine. Bring to a boil and skim. Add turnips, peppercorns and garlic. Cover and simmer until the turnips are soft, about 1 hour.
Puree soup with a handheld blender, or transfer to blender or food processor. If soup is too thick, thin with a little water. Season to taste and stir in fennel leaves. Ladle into heated bowls and serve with sour cream.